Fast Healthy Homemade Granola from a Skillet
To add some variety to our breakfast, I wanted to eat oatmeal more often. I love granola but the products sold in the shops contain a lot of added sugars. One morning when I stopped by my good friend Sabena for a cup of tea, she told me about her homemade granola. At first, I didn’t know exactly what she meant by granola. But when I saw it I thought Aha! Back home I started experimenting with my own version of fast healthy homemade granola from a skillet.
What is granola?
Granola is a combination of oats, cereal flakes, nuts and dried fruit, which are toasted, which gives it a crunchy bite. Her granola is healthier, because there is less sugar and additives added to it; and it was so good! She made this in the oven. I am certainly in favor of preparing and making things at home, but I was still wondering if there is an easier way to do this. Preparing something in the oven takes a lot of time and energy, if you add that to the time that the oven has to heat up.
The fast and healthy homemade granola recipe
So, I started experimenting with making granola in a frying pan. After several attempts, I finally managed to make my own version of granola. I am happy to share my recipe of this fast healthy homemade granola from a skillet with you. This granola is delicious with coconut yogurt and fresh fruit!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
This healthy homemade granola contains:
- 180 grams of oatmeal
- 25 grams of cranberries, raisins or other dried fruit
- 25 grams of pecans
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or other oil of your choice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
You will need this:
- A good skillet or frying pan
This is how you make homemade granola:
- Put a frying pan on low heat and add the coconut oil. When it’s melted, add the oatmeal.
- Toast the oatmeal over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add pecans, cranberries, coconut flakes and toast for a few minutes longer.
- Add honey. The more honey you add, the crunchier the granola becomes. Then you lower the heat.
- Add a little cinnamon to taste.
There you have it – you are done making your own granola! It’s best to let it cool down for a while and then you can store the granola in an air tight jar for a few days. Once you have tasted this healthy homemade granola, you won’t go back to store-bought granola. It’s so much better! For more delicious, easy, and healthy homemade recipe you can go to my recipe page.
Enjoy this delicious, healthy and fast homemade granola from a skillet.